As 2015 is in full swing we look at the trends that we saw in kitchen design in 2014 and are anxious to see how they stacked up against the predicted trends of 2015.
1. 2014 saw shades of gray…many different shades of gray. In fact, gray was the biggest increase in cabinet colors. White is still the overall most popular but gray or any shade of it gave white a run for its money. 2015 is off to a great start with…you guessed it Gray! It is still the same sexy color it was in 2014 and just trailing behind the whites. In Corona del Mar and Newport Beach we are seeing whites in all different shades and textures. Some are high gloss, some are brushed and some are edged banded with chrome!!
|Dura Supreme shades of gray
2. Natural Materials – 2014 saw a big increase of bringing in natural materials. We did some amazing designs mixing a sleek cabinet with a rust wood element. We saw a big increase of wood counter tops some with organic edges and some with distressed tops. We expect to see this trend continue into 2015 – which I love very much! The juxtaposition of a natural marble with rustic authentic barn wood legs is such a great look.
|Grotthouse Wood Counter top
3. Gold, Brass and Black – 2014 brought in some interest. In the years past chrome and stainless were the “go to” but 2014 brought in golds, bronze and even brass. We saw it on lighting, hardware and even hoods…Can you say fabulous! and I am pleased to say that 2015 is continuing to see Gold and shiny brass popping up in kitchen design, bathroom design and interior design.
4. Flooring – flooring material ranged anywhere from large scale tiles to typical wood. Wood flooring was still the number one flooring in 2014 for the kitchen but we did see some great looking tile designs and even some laminate woods – gasp! The higher end laminate wood flooring is so fabulous these days it is hard to tell the difference. In 2015 in Corona del mar we are seeing the wood look tiles coming on strong. They are so amazing that they look like actual rustic barn wood. *swoon*
5. Lighting – One of the biggest changes we saw in designing kitchen spaces was the lighting. Not only are we using larger scale pieces like large wonderful chandeliers, we are also seeing scone lights. That’s right, sconce lights. With the on going trend of little to no upper cabinets we found plenty of space for accent lights and brought in some beautiful sconce lights. I am happy to report that we are seeing even more lighting options in the kitchen for 2015. Corona del Mar homeowners are noting that lighting, like any accessory, can make a hug pop in their space!
|Corona del Mar Cottage Kitchen Design
All in all 2014 was a year of naturals and neutrals with a hint of gold! We are very excited to see that 2015 is bringing on much of the same. Make sure to stop in the studio located at 3415 Newport Blvd, Newport Beach, Ca 92663 or call today to schedule your appointment to start designing the kitchen of your dreams. www.skdstudios.com
Want to Read More?