With this cold spring weather and warm weather nowhere in sight…SKD Studios is thinking about the islands. Not the same islands you may be thinking about! We are thinking about kitchen islands…Everyone wants one, and we think everyone needs one, but fitting one in a small kitchen may be a bit tricky. Islands come in many shapes and sizes. We see large ones, round ones, square ones and even free form ones. Some have different heights, some are used for prep area and some are used for eating. One thing for sure, is that every island is used for gathering.
Some of the trends we are seeing at SKD Studios is that islands are becoming housing for small appliances. We put microwaves, cooktops, wine coolers and beverage drawers in islands. There are no rules when it comes to creating your island but there are some important questions that we always ask our clients and you may want to consider as well.
- How many cooks will be using the island?
- Will it be a single level or have a raised bar? (remember a raised bar will take away work surface and can require a knee wall for support)
- Do you have a cooking surface in the island? (if you have small children this can be dangerous)
- Do you want a prep sink or a primary sink in the island?
- Do you want decorative storage in the island?
Remember that Islands in the kitchen can add work surface, eating area and provide a wonderful gathering space for your guests. The size, design and function are all just as important as the rest of the kitchen. Stop by SKD Studios and let one of our designers work up and island plan that will be a great addition to your home. Visit us on the web at https://skdstudios.com/ or call us at 443-404-5686 to get the island of your dreams.
Have a Great Week!
Want to Read More?